Mancini says Dzeko could give City edge in title race
LONDON: Edin Dzeko`s chances of joining Premier League title chasers Manchester City have been boosted with a ringing endorsement from City`s manager Roberto Mancini.
The 24-year-old Bosnia striker is one of the Bundesliga`s most prolific scorers and City are reported to be in negotiations to sign him from VfL Wolfsburg once the transfer window opens on Saturday.
"We have the chance to win the league this year and the decisive factor could be Edin Dzeko," Italian Mancini told the Daily Mail. "This player can decide titles and that is why we want him."
City, who are level on points with Manchester United at the top of the table, albeit having played two more games, have relied heavily on the goals of Carlos Tevez.
With Emmanuel Adebayor and Roque Santa Cruz both out of favour with Mancini and Mario Balotelli yet to settle despite his hat-trick in the 4-0 win over Aston Villa on Tuesday, Dzeko`s goalscoring record looks enticing.
Dzeko was Bundesliga topscorer with 22 goals last season and second topscorer the season in 2008/9 with 26, when Wolfsburg won the title.
He has scored 10 league goals in the first half of this season, even though Wolfsburg are struggling in 13th place.
Wolfsburg`s English manager Steve McClaren said recently that it could be hard for the club to keep hold of Dzeko.
"We hope that Edin stays because he is a world class striker, but we are in the business of football and nothing is 100 percent certain," he said. "We will have to see what happens."
Wolfsburg have declined to comment on the speculation surrounding the player.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'