Maradona appointed Dubai`s sports ambassador
Dubai: Argentine football legend Diego Maradona, who was fired as coach of Dubai`s Al Wasl Football Club in July, has been appointed an honorary sports ambassador of the sheikhdom, the Dubai Sports Council said Sunday.
Maradona, 51, signed a contract for one year with the Dubai Sports Council. His curtly career as a trainer of Al Wasl ended after one season due to the club`s poor results.
An honorary sports ambassador`s task is to represent the sheikhdom in order to improve Dubai`s publicity in relation to its readiness to host major international sports events. The government of Dubai has frequently expressed ambitions to host Olympics or the FIFA World Cup.
Maradona, a FIFA World Cup champion of 1986 and Argentina coach in 2010, expressed in mid-August his desire to take over a trainer job in China, but his plans have not materialised as yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love