Mata wants Chelsea to make history by winning both European cups
London: Spanish midfielder Juan Mata wants Chelsea to create history and become the first team to hold both of Europe’s top titles, the Champions League and the Europa League, at the same time.
Rafa Benitez’s European champions dropped down into the second-tier Europa League after failing to get out of their group.
The Blues start their Europa League campaign with a last-32 first-leg clash against Sparta Prague on February 14, and if they lift the trophy in the final on May 15, they will be the first European champs to hold both crowns, even if it is for just 10 days.
Mata took to Twitter after the draw on Thursday to let fans know the Blues are serious about the competition.
“We face Sparta Prague in #EuropaLeague,” the Sun quoted Mata, as saying.
“The first step to reach our goal in this tournament: Become Champions!” he added.
Interim boss Benitez has also insisted he will take the competition seriously, even though reviving Chelsea’s Premier League challenge is more important.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round