Mata wants Chelsea to make history by winning both European cups
London: Spanish midfielder Juan Mata wants Chelsea to create history and become the first team to hold both of Europe’s top titles, the Champions League and the Europa League, at the same time.
Rafa Benitez’s European champions dropped down into the second-tier Europa League after failing to get out of their group.
The Blues start their Europa League campaign with a last-32 first-leg clash against Sparta Prague on February 14, and if they lift the trophy in the final on May 15, they will be the first European champs to hold both crowns, even if it is for just 10 days.
Mata took to Twitter after the draw on Thursday to let fans know the Blues are serious about the competition.
“We face Sparta Prague in #EuropaLeague,” the Sun quoted Mata, as saying.
“The first step to reach our goal in this tournament: Become Champions!” he added.
Interim boss Benitez has also insisted he will take the competition seriously, even though reviving Chelsea’s Premier League challenge is more important.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured