Mourinho says strong Man City`s forward options make them PL title favourites
London: Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has said that he believes Manchester City`s forward options make them favourites to win the Premier League title.
Mourinho, who takes Chelsea to Southampton on New Year`s Day, sitting third in the league, one point behind City and two behind Arsenal, has previously said that City should be well clear already, such is the strength in their ranks.
According to The Guardian, Mourinho insisted that he is not playing any mind games, and bristled at the suggestion that his comments about City were an attempt to unsettle them, saying that City should not feel any pressure as they know their own strength and that they are the favourites .
However, Mourinho highlighted the progress Chelsea has made compared to this time last year, when they trailed the then leaders, Manchester United, by 11 points, although he continues to stick to the line about his club being in transition and, as such, title outsiders.
Wenger, whose Arsenal team face a New Year`s Day visit from Cardiff City, gave short shrift to his rival and made it plain that Mourinho`s views should not be taken at face value, saying that at the end of the day, it comes down to whatever each club performs at the field.
Arsenal was last on top of the table at New Year in 2007-08, only to fade after a morale-sapping 2-2 draw at Birmingham City in late February and this season is very tight at the halfway stage, with nine points separating the top eight clubs, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank