Mourinho’s friendship with Drogba and Sneijder won’t affect the desire to win: Butragueno
Real Madrid director Emilio Butragueno believes friendships will count for nothing when Los Blancos boss Jose Mourinho and Galatasaray duo Wesley Sneijder and Didier Drogba clash in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.
The Champions League tie was drawn on Friday morning and the Liga giants will fancy their chances of progressing, after avoiding favourites Barcelona as well as Bundesliga leaders Bayern Munich and Serie A table-toppers Juventus.
But Butragueno says despite the history shared between the Portuguese trainer and the Gala players who he coached - Drogba at Chelsea and Sneijder at Inter - the friendship will not affect Mourinho`s desire for victory.
"They have an extraordinary relationship, but that happens quite often, and now they have different goals and they will do their best to help Galatasaray."
"Mourinho will of course want us to be here again for the semi-final draw and before the game and after the game I`m sure [they`ll talk], but during the game we will be focused on our goals."
And the former Spain striker is well aware of the threat Sneijder and Drogba will pose.
He added, “Galatasaray are here because they deserve to be here. They have a very good team, and with Drogba and Sneijder they are stronger, so we have to be very respectful because they have shown they are very competitive.”
"With the first leg at home, we need a good result to take to Turkey. There`ll be an incredible atmosphere over there."
With Barcelona and Real Madrid having avoided each other in the quarter-finals there is now a possibility that the Liga giants could face each other in the final but Butragueno is only focused on the game at hand.
"That`s very far ahead so we have to be focused on Galatasaray, try to do our best, try to qualify for the semi-finals, and then we`ll see."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what