Neymar can make the difference, says Messi
Barcelona star Lionel Messi has backed new signing Neymar to make a significant impact next season.
The Argentina star believes the Brazilian will have no trouble setting in at Camp Nou and admits last season`s Champions League exit has fired the team up for the coming campaign
The 21-year-old completed a €57 million move to Camp Nou in June after months of speculation surrounding his future, but Messi believes the Brazil star will have no problem adjusting to life in Catalunya despite the hype surrounding his arrival.
"He is a great player and he will have no problems adapting. He`ll have no trouble off the pitch either. He`s a good lad," Messi told a press conference on Wednesday.
"He will give a lot to the team. In one-on-ones, he is very dominant. He`s going to make a difference."
Messi has already seen two team-mates leave this summer, with Thiago Alcantara joining Bayern Munich after David Villa had signed a deal with Atletico Madrid, and the 26-year-old believes the two clubs have completed excellent business in bringing in the two players.
"Thiago? It was a personal decision, he thought he`d play more there [at Bayern]," Messi explained. "Villa? He`s a great signing for Atletico, he`s a real goalscorer."
Barcelona suffered a 7-0 aggregate defeat to Bayern in last season`s Champions League semi-final, and as a result Messi admits he is fired up for the tournament next season- although he acknowledges the threat posed by the European champions under Pep Guardiola.
"The Champions League defeat from last season is an extra motivation for this year. It`s another challenge," Messi continued.
"Bayern already had a great team and with Guardiola they`ll be even stronger. In La Liga, [Real] Madrid will be a tough opponent, as always."
Messi was rocked by tax fraud claims earlier in the summer, with the Argentina captain and his father allegedly owing around €4m in unpaid bills, but Messi insists he is relaxed as his advisors continue to handle the proceedings.
"I`m calm. We`ll see how things go. Our advisers are dealing with the issue, we trust them."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule