No action against Fellaini over `spit` claims
London: Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini has "no case to answer" regarding allegations he spat at Manchester City full-back Pablo Zabaleta during last week`s derby at Old Trafford, the Football Association said Monday.
"We have reviewed all the available footage and decided he (Fellaini) has no case to answer," an FA spokesman told AFP on Monday.
Footage on the YouTube website emerged which appeared to indicate Fellaini spitting near to Zabaleta`s head while the City defender lay on the floor following a clash between the pair.
The FA did have the option of banning Fellaini retrospectively if it had found him guilty of misconduct.
Earlier this month, the FA banned Hull`s George Boyd for three matches after he spat at Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart.
Match referee Michael Oliver booked Fellaini moments before the alleged spit towards Zabaleta for an elbow on the Argentina full-back.
After title contenders City`s 3-0 win over Premier League champions United, Zabaleta said Fellaini was lucky to stay on the pitch.
"I was elbowed by Fellaini. It was a red card," he said.
United manager David Moyes said last week he had discussed the incident with Fellaini and stressed the Belgium international was adamant he`d done nothing wrong.
"I`ve spoken with Marouane and he says it isn`t the case," Moyes said.
"We will work with the FA if that is what we have to do. Marouane is adamant that at no time did he (spit at Zabaleta). I don`t think it (the footage) is completely conclusive, from what I`ve seen," the Scot added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi