No handshake again as Chelsea meet QPR in Premier League
London: The Premier League have agreed that no handshakes will take place in the match between Queens Park Rangers and Chelsea on Sunday because of tensions between John Terry and Anton Ferdinand.
Chelsea and former England captain Terry, who denies wrongdoing, has been charged with racially abusing QPR defender Ferdinand in a league game in October.
Terry is due in court in July after the Euro 2012 tournament.
"The Premier League position on the pre-match handshake convention remains consistent. In all normal circumstances it must be observed," the Premier League said in a statement.
"However, after discussions with both Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers about the potential and specific legal context in relation to John Terry and Anton Ferdinand the decision has been taken to suspend the handshake convention for Sunday`s match."
There was no handshake before the FA Cup fourth round match in January between the two clubs.
Chelsea, who qualified for the Champions League final on Tuesday at the expense of holders Barcelona despite Terry`s first-half red card, can go a point behind fourth-placed Newcastle United with three games left if they win.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Docoss X1: Hurry up! Online booking for Rs 888 smartphone to end today
- Good news for 'Feni' lovers! Goa's traditional brew to get 'heritage spirit' tag
- Whoa! Sidharth Malhotra feels 'ishq wala love' for Alia Bhatt?
- After Salman Khan, IOA approaches Sachin Tendulkar, AR Rahman to be Goodwill Ambassadors
- IMF sees emerging market innovations as 'crankiness' of Governor: Raghuram Rajan