Own goal secures PSG a record-breaking win
Paris: Paris Saint-Germain prepared for their Champions League showdown against Chelsea with a fortuitous 1-0 Ligue 1 win at Nice on Friday that was their seventh in succession in Ligue 1 - a record for the Parc des Princes side.
Laurent Blanc`s men were handed a huge boost ahead of the midweek quarter-final first leg as Thiago Silva played the full 90 minutes despite suffering a fractured cheekbone last week - although the Brazil international produced an unconvincing performance at the Allianz Riviera.
Yet the league leaders were still able to claim all three points and move 13 clear of Monaco ahead of their trip to Evian on Saturday.
Defending French champions PSG were the beneficiaries of some good fortune as Nice defender Timothee Kolodziejczak turned the ball into his own net seven minutes into the second half.
The left-back looked to have been pushed in the back by Edinson Cavani in the lead up to the goal, which was allowed to stand as PSG claimed their 23rd league win of the campaign.
Blanc`s focus will now switch to Wednesday`s game against Chelsea as PSG look to reach the Champions League semi-finals for the first time since 1995.
PSG were the first to threaten the goal as midfielder Yohan Cabaye shot narrowly wide from long range, but it was Nice who looked to have taken the lead in the 10th minute when Dario Cvitanich nodded home from a free kick, only for the goal to be correctly disallowed for offside.
The visitors responded excellently to that scare and could have gone ahead, only for Ezequiel Lavezzi to miss the target with a glorious opportunity after being played through by Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Nice did cause the PSG defence the occasional difficulty but it was Blanc`s men who continued to create the better chances, Cavani drawing a fine save from David Ospina before Marquinhos headed wide from the resulting corner.
Ospina quickly became the star of the first half, producing further heroics to keep out a fierce effort from Ibrahimovic and a header from Thiago Silva - sporting a facial mask to protect his cheekbone - shortly before the interval.
But the Colombia international was finally beaten seven minutes into the second half as Ibrahimovic headed Javier Pastore`s cross into the path of the unfortunate Kolodziejczak to bundle home.
Eric Bautheac did come close to equalising for Nice from a free kick, but Claude Puel`s hosts were grateful to former PSG midfielder Mathieu Bodmer for keeping the deficit at one.
Bodmer showed great determination to prevent a goal-bound effort from Lucas Digne from finding the net, as Ospina lay stricken on the edge of the area after thwarting Ibrahimovic.
But those efforts proved to be in vain as Nice wasted a last-gasp free kick and PSG held on to take another step towards a second successive title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'