Paraguayan footballers are `fierce`, warns Diego Maradona
Buenos Aires: Argentine football legend Diego Maradona warned San Lorenzo to prepare for a tough match against Nacional in the Libertadores Cup final, saying Paraguayan footballers "are fierce."
The two teams go head to head in the Libertadores Cup final Wednesday in Buenos Aires, reports Xinhua.
"By all means, let the San Lorenzo fans celebrate," said Maradona, referring to the team`s odds of winning the tournament.
"But the knives-clenched-between-their-teeth Paraguayans are fierce," he warned, indicating San Lorenzo should be ready for a tough battle.
Maradona, retired football player and coach, made the remarks in an interview Monday with TV channel America, in which he also severely criticised the playing quality of his team Boca Juniors.
Boca lost to Newell`s 0-1 at a home game, as part of the Transition Tournament, with what Maradona called "the worst version" of the team he had ever seen.
"It`s a sorry sight that they can`t take three consecutive steps, and that once past the midfield they have to throw the ball at a header like (forward Emmanuel) Gigliotti who misses two out of three times," Maradona said of the game.
Maradona said he won`t be attending the Libertadores final at San Lorenzo Stadium, following the 1-1 draw of the first leg played Wednesday in Asuncion, Paraguay.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?