Pep Guardiola hails `best` hour at Bayern
Munich: Pep Guardiola has hailed his "best" hour at Bayern Munich after steering the holders to the Champions League`s semifinals as they bid to reach their fourth final in five years.
Holders Bayern had to come from behind before romping to a 3-1 victory at home to Manchester United at Munich`s Allianz Arena in Wednesday`s quarterfinal, second-leg to win the tie 4-2 on aggregate.
"We are in the semi finals, so I`m very, very proud of my team," said Guardiola after goals by Mario Mandzukic, Thomas Mueller and Arjen Robben cancelled out Patrice Evra`s superb second-half strike for United.
"I`m happy. My players have huge hearts. "This is the best part of the season for me, now we`re in a superior situation."
Having won 14 titles in four seasons as Barcelona manager, the 43-year-old Guardiola has already won three titles in less than 10 months at Bayern after lifting the UEFA Super Cup, Club World Cup and claiming the Bundesliga with a record seven matches to spare.
Bayern will discover their semifinal opponents in Friday`s draw with Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid and Chelsea also in the last four.
"I often get asked which team I want, but each side has their own qualities," he said.
"Real have superior players with enormous qualities, such as (Cristiano) Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, (Gareth) Bale etc.
"Atletico are pure passion and it`s their first time in this situation. "It`s unbelievable for their fans what they have done so far. "Chelsea have a lot of experience, with players like Petr Cech, (Branislav) Ivanovic, (Frank) Lampard and the Blues have a trainer with a lot of experience too.
"Each team have their own strengths and we`ll analyse them as well as possible."
Having become the first German team to win the treble of European, league and cup titles last season, Bayern are bidding to become the first side ever to defend the Champions League at the May 24 final in Lisbon.
"I have been here nearly a year and I have seen why they won everything last year," said Guardiola, who has reached his 15th Champions League semifinal as a player or coach.
"They have great team spirit and I am proud, it`s an enormous honour to be here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre