QPR appeal against Barton`s red card
London: Queens Park Rangers are appealing to the FA following the red card awarded to Joey Barton in the match against Norwich City.
The struggling west London club said on their website that they had lodged a formal appeal and would be making no further comment.
Barton was dismissed for an off the ball incident with Norwich`s Bradley Johnson after 34 minutes when he appeared to headbutt his opponent during the Premier League match at Loftus Road which Norwich won 2-1 after Barton had given Rangers an early lead.
Both Barton and his manager Neil Warnock vehemently protested the sending off after the game, with Warnock claiming that referee Neil Swarbrick and his linesman were "conned" into sending off the Rangers skipper.
"The assistant referee has guessed, if I`m honest," Warnock told BBC Sport. "Who says cheats don`t prosper? Bradley has conned him."
Barton added on Twitter: "Hopefully (the) ref sees it retrospectively and sees he`s been conned."
Barton said the officials told him at halftime that they "never saw" the incident with Johnson.
"I feel for the officials; they`ve been conned. I was pulled back first, then kicked second," Barton tweeted after his dismissal.
Rangers, back in the top flight for the first time since 1996, were ninth on November 19, but have slipped to 17th, just one place above the relegation zone, after picking up just two points from a possible 24 from their last eight matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH