Sneijder keeps door open on United move
Dublin: Wesley Sneijder on Sunday kept the door open to a possible £35 million switch to Manchester United.
The Inter Milan midfielder has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League champions, and speculation continued this weekend despite recent comments from United boss Sir Alex Ferguson that the club would make no further signings this summer.
The Dutch international played 75 minutes in Sunday`s 3-0 defeat to Manchester City in the Dublin Super Cup, and then refused to dismiss the speculation that he may end up on the other side of Manchester this season.
"There is always a chance something will happen but we will see," said the former Real Madrid star.
"What is going to happen we will see, but I am a happy guy. There is always speculation, every year. I have been at the highest level for ten years and there is always speculation, but look, I am still here.
"I am happy to train every day with my colleagues and play my games for the fans and every one at the club and whatever happens after that, we will see."
Inter Milan boss Gian Piero Gasperini has told United they must speak with his club, and not the player, if they want to conclude a deal.
Gasperini was reacting to comments, attributed to Ferguson, but later denied by the Scot, that the midfielder was made one, final, take-it-or-leave it offer by United.
"I appreciate there`s been an offer, but it`s with Inter the negotiations should take place," Gasperini said.
"I`m not necessarily worried, it`s normal in this time to have this type of situation. The market is open to August 31, and it will continue to happen until then. It`s not just Inter, it`s the same with other big clubs who have player that are object of desire for big clubs."
Roberto Mancini refused to be left out of the transfer speculation game at Dublin`s Aviva Stadium, and admitted that he expects a number of players to leave Manchester City in the coming weeks.
Craig Bellamy will be allowed to join fellow Super Cup competitors Celtic, if the player can agree a deal, while Emmanuel Adebayor will be free to join Real Madrid, should Jose Mourinho want the Togo striker to return to the Bernabeu.
Unsettled striker Carlos Tevez is free to depart - if a £50 million fee is forthcoming, but if not, the Argentine will be a welcome member of Mancini`s potent forward options, alongside Mario Balotelli, Edin Dzeko and new signing Sergio Aguero.
"If Carlos stays, and we have four strikers fighting for the team, it is good," he said.
"But we will play four competitions this year, we need four strikers. Mario Balotelli played well and I think if he plays with the same concentration he did today then we will be happy.
"I talk to him every day and I hope he has learned from what happened last week," added Mancini, in reference to his decision to haul off his striker in the friendly against LA Galaxy for showboating.
"I hope he will understand, but we will see in the future. What I do know is that if he players like today, he can be one of the best players.
"With Dzeko, it was tough for him last season because it was his first time in the Premier League and the first two or three months are very very difficult. But I am confident he will score lots of goals for us this season."
Celtic boss Neil Lennon was content following his side`s 5-0 victory over the Airtricity League XI, but the best business of the weekend could be the addition of City striker Bellamy.
"I didn`t speak with City, but the two clubs have been working on that in the background," he confirmed. "Hopefully there will be more to report at the end of the week.
"I haven`t spoken about it but I know there have been conversations between both clubs."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata Banerjee wants West Bengal to be called ‘Bangla’: Report
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen