Toe injury threatens Robin van Persie`s participation
Amsterdam: A toe injury threatens to rule Robin van Persie out of the Netherlands` World Cup qualifier against Hungary in Amsterdam on Friday.
Van Persie, on the verge of matching the record tally of goals for the Dutch national team, was hurt in last week`s Champions League tie against Shakhtar Donetsk.
"I got an enormous stamp on my toe and I really thought it had been broken, but luckily a scan showed it was not," Van Persie told a media conference.
"I played on Sunday (for Manchester United against Sunderland) but the injury has not got better."
He would continue training and a final decision on his playing would be made closer to kick off.
If he did not play on Friday he would stay with the squad in a bid to be fit for Tuesday`s final European Group D qualifier in Turkey.
The Dutch have already secured a berth at next year`s World Cup finals in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok