Toe injury threatens Robin van Persie`s participation
Amsterdam: A toe injury threatens to rule Robin van Persie out of the Netherlands` World Cup qualifier against Hungary in Amsterdam on Friday.
Van Persie, on the verge of matching the record tally of goals for the Dutch national team, was hurt in last week`s Champions League tie against Shakhtar Donetsk.
"I got an enormous stamp on my toe and I really thought it had been broken, but luckily a scan showed it was not," Van Persie told a media conference.
"I played on Sunday (for Manchester United against Sunderland) but the injury has not got better."
He would continue training and a final decision on his playing would be made closer to kick off.
If he did not play on Friday he would stay with the squad in a bid to be fit for Tuesday`s final European Group D qualifier in Turkey.
The Dutch have already secured a berth at next year`s World Cup finals in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister