UEFA Champions League: Manchester City vs Real Madrid - Preview
Manchester: Gael Clichy injured his ankle during Manchester City`s 5-0 win over Aston Villa at the weekend and could be replaced by Aleksandar Kolarov at left-back by Roberto Mancini.
Joleon Lescott (back) and James Milner (hamstring) are still out for City, with no set return dates from injury.
Micah Richards (knee) is sidelined until December, although Samir Nasri could shake off illness and Jack Rodwell (hamstring) is back in contention for a place in the vital match, albeit with slim chances.
Matija Nastasic (knee) played the full 90 minutes at the weekend and should retain his place in centre of defence.
Real Madrid`s main injury concerns are Gonzalo Higuain (thigh) and Marcelo (broken foot), with both unable to feature for the visitors.
Other than those two injuries, Jose Mourinho has a full squad at his disposal.
• Only two teams have recovered from a position such as Manchester City`s to qualify for the latter stages: Lokomotiv Moskow with one point after four games in 2002-03 and Porto with two points in 2004-05.
• The only previous meeting between the sides occurred in September, with Real Madrid fighting back to beat City 3-2.
• The Blues are 19 games unbeaten at home in Uefa competition (qualifying included), winning 14 and drawing five since a 1-0 Uefa Cup loss to FC Midtjylland in 2008.
• The English champions have been caught offside 22 times in Europe this season, more than any other club.
• Cristiano Ronaldo (pictured right) appeared in 11 derbies for Manchester United against City, winning seven and losing three. He scored four goals but was twice sent off at the City of Manchester Stadium.
• Ronaldo has found the net 14 times in his last 11 Champions League appearances.
• Los Blancos are making their fifth visit to Manchester. They won 1-0 at Tottenham on their last visit to England, and have won four, drawn two, and lost five in the country.
• Borussia Dortmund`s first goal against Madrid in the 2-2 draw on was the 200th Madrid have conceded in the Champions League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged