Uruguay striker Abreu considers Botafogo exit
Rio de Janeiro: Uruguay international striker Loco Abreu, stripped of his status as first-choice striker, has admitted he could leave Brazilian club Botafogo.
The 35-year-old has scored 12 goals since the arrival of coach Oswaldo de Oliveira in January but in recent weeks has had his starting spot taken by Argentine forward German Herrera, reports said.
"I`m not going to argue with the tactics of the team," the former Deportivo La Coruna and Real Sociedad striker said Monday.
"I have a lot of respect for Oswaldo and I understand his decision. One day I am going to be a coach too and I`ll also have to make tough decisions."
"I have never been treated as well as I have at Botafogo and that is why it`s such a tough decision. But I have to do what`s best for my career and see if the current situation affects my position with the national team. I will make the right decision for me and the club."
Botafogo president Mauricio Assumpcao said the Rio outfit would support Abreu regardless of his decision.
"He has to do what is best for his career and we will respect that decision," Assumpcao said.
Abreu has scored 26 goals from 68 appearances for Uruguay since his international debut in 1996.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31