Action starts today, vibrant Brazil set for football World Cup!
Zee Media Bureau
Rio de Janeiro: It`s show time in Brazil and the journey to Rio is finally over! The 2014 Fifa World Cup begins on Thursday with hosts Brazil playing the tournament opener against Croatia.
The month-long tournament sees 32 nations compete for a place in the final in Rio on Sunday, 13 July.
The journey hasn`t been an easy one with construction and stadium delays that threatened to take some shine off. In the bigger picture lies the ongoing protests in major cities against the excessive spendings for the event amidst financial and employment crunch. But overall Brazil will hope to put all the hardships behind and will look to kick off with the event in style and what more than starting off with a victory.
The opening match will be preceded by a ceremony in Sao Paulo that pays tribute to nature, people and football. Like the Olympic Games, this international event cannot begin without fanfare. As host, Brazil has planned an extraordinary show that will remind onlookers of the nation itself.
There will be dancers, musicians, gymnasts, trampolines and more as the participants attempt to portray a story while also creating a feast for the eyes.
With months of preparation going into a 25-minute extravaganza, fans should expect quite a show. While the main show will feature many unrecognisable acts, it will end with a performance by some of the world`s biggest stars.
Pitbull, Jennifer Lopez and Brazilian artist Claudia Leitte will come together to perform their new collaborative hit entitled "We Are One (Ole Ola)".
Brazil coach Luis Felipe Scolari had stated on Wednesday that they are ready for the event and are together for the mega event.
"Let me tell you the time has arrived. We are going together. This is our World Cup," said Brazil coach Luis Felipe Scolari on Wednesday.
Unity is what is required and the most successfull footballing nation needs to come together and light up the scenario for the whole world to see.
The host country`s government is keen to prevent a repeat of some of the violence seen at the recent protests, and Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff has said that she will not allow violent demonstrations to mar the World Cup. Thousands of extra police and soldiers will be deployed to ensure the matches get underway smoothly.
Hosts Brazil start as favourites to win the World Cup for a sixth time, while holders Spain are aiming to win a fourth major tournament in a row after winning the European Championships two years ago.
A capacity 65,000 crowd is expected for the opening match, with their journey to the stadium eased after Metro workers vowed not to resume a strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow