Bowditch survives to win Texas Open by one stroke
San Antonio, Texas: First-time winner Steven Bowditch continued a season of surprises on the PGA Tour, claiming the $6.2 million Texas Open by one stroke on Sunday.
The Australian, who came into the event ranked 339th in the world, survived a windswept final round with a four-over-par 76 at the TPC San Antonio.
It was the highest closing score by a winner of a tour event since 2004, but Bowditch had no complaints after securing his first victory in 110 starts, earning $1.116 million, along with a prized invitation to the Masters in two weeks.
"It`s so hard out there. I`ve never really felt that way for a whole day," he told Golf Channel after tapping in from six inches for a bogey at the final hole to finish at eight-under 280 and edge Americans Will MacKenzie (70) and Daniel Summerhays (71).
Bowditch is the third Australian to win on the tour this year, joining Jason Day (WGC Match Play) and John Senden (Tampa Bay Championship).
The 30-year-old from Queensland, the same state as Day, Senden and Masters champion Adam Scott, was a top junior player whose professional career temporarily was stalled as he battled depression.
"Everyone`s dealt with something," Bowditch said. "You just move on and keep learning and growing."
Bowditch started the final round with a three-stroke lead but surrendered his advantage in only four holes to fall back into a tie with Matt Kuchar.
Six-time PGA Tour winner Kuchar remained tied for the lead after nine holes, but faded with bogeys at the next two holes and eventually finished two strokes behind, equal fourth.
Bowditch, displaying a deft short game whenever he missed a green, birdied the par-five 14th to take a two-stroke lead that held up down the stretch when none of his rivals could sustain a challenge in the difficult conditions.
But Bowditch remained patient to become the latest in a line of long-shot winners on tour. Zach Johnson and Bubba Watson are the only major champions to triumph this calendar year.
Kevin Na received a two-stroke penalty for grounding his club in a fairway bunker at the fifth hole. He shot a 76 to finish five shots back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks