Tiger Woods set to pass Jack Nicklaus before swing change, says Gary Player
North Carolina: Golf legend Gary Player believes Tiger Woods, before he changed his swing, was on target to smash Jack Nicklaus`s record of 18 major championship victories.
"There`s never been a man with the talent Tiger Woods has," Player said during a recent interview.
"When he won the (2000) US Open by 15 shots, he was on his way to destroying all records. He would have won close to 30 majors the way he was going - and then he changes his swing."
"Obviously one is always ambitious and wanting to get better and better and you`ve got to admire a man for doing that.
"But then he has many coaches (and) this coach is teaching him that, this coach is teaching him this.
"He gets swinging different ways, gets a bit confused, loses a bit of confidence and it takes time to restore it."
But Woods has always insisted he had one good reason to change his swing despite his success.
"You can always become better," he told the television programme `60 Minutes` in 2006.
Woods turned professional in 1996 and was coached by Butch Harmon until 2002, before switching to Hank Haney.
He was successful under both coaches - accruing 14 major titles between the 1997 Masters and the 2008 US Open.
But he has not won a major in more than five years and at the age of 37 remains stranded four Grand Slam titles short of matching Nicklaus.
Woods, who is now coached by Sean Foley after splitting with Haney in 2010, has not lost the ability to win regular tournaments.
He has regained his world number one ranking by piling up victories in non-major tournaments, but it is no secret he covets majors and a place in history more than anything else in golf.
"He wins five tournaments this year after all the difficulties and adversities he went through," continued Player, one of only five men to win all four Grand Slam titles - the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and U.S. PGA Championship.
"I`m a big admirer of that. To win five tournaments is absolutely wonderful but he would give all five away, I`m sure if you asked him, to win one major because what he`s got to do now is beat Nicklaus`s 18 majors and that`s a difficult task but if anyone can do it it`s Tiger Woods."
Woods` 2000 U.S. Open victory was only his third major title, but it was the start of an astonishing run of six major wins in nine starts.
Rarely, if ever, has a performance more impressed his fellow competitors. Woods increased his lead after every round at Pebble Beach, despite a triple bogey during the third round.
Four-time major champion Ernie Els, who tied for second, said at the time: "It seems like we`re not playing in the same ballpark right now.
"When he`s on, you don`t have much of a chance. ... I guess if I played out of my mind, I probably still would have lost by five, six, seven."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25