Woods, McIlroy slammed for failing to endorse Asia’s biggest golf tournament
London: World’s top two players Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods came under heavy fire on Tuesday for pocketing millions of pounds in China this week but failing to support Asia’s biggest tournament.
The world’s top two earned about two million pounds in an exhibition match, but then flew out rather than play the HSBC Champions event in Southern China.
“Of course we are disappointed that the top two players in the world aren’t here,” the Daily Express quoted HSBC’s head of sponsorship Giles Morgan, as saying.
“We believe very strongly in supporting golf around the world. But in order to showcase itself, particularly in emerging markets such as China, as many of the top players as possible should be here,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened