Woods, McIlroy slammed for failing to endorse Asia’s biggest golf tournament
London: World’s top two players Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods came under heavy fire on Tuesday for pocketing millions of pounds in China this week but failing to support Asia’s biggest tournament.
The world’s top two earned about two million pounds in an exhibition match, but then flew out rather than play the HSBC Champions event in Southern China.
“Of course we are disappointed that the top two players in the world aren’t here,” the Daily Express quoted HSBC’s head of sponsorship Giles Morgan, as saying.
“We believe very strongly in supporting golf around the world. But in order to showcase itself, particularly in emerging markets such as China, as many of the top players as possible should be here,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH