Woods, McIlroy slammed for failing to endorse Asia’s biggest golf tournament
London: World’s top two players Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods came under heavy fire on Tuesday for pocketing millions of pounds in China this week but failing to support Asia’s biggest tournament.
The world’s top two earned about two million pounds in an exhibition match, but then flew out rather than play the HSBC Champions event in Southern China.
“Of course we are disappointed that the top two players in the world aren’t here,” the Daily Express quoted HSBC’s head of sponsorship Giles Morgan, as saying.
“We believe very strongly in supporting golf around the world. But in order to showcase itself, particularly in emerging markets such as China, as many of the top players as possible should be here,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Case filed in UP court
- Shocking! 'Incorruptible' ex-BSP MLA, family live in tarpaulin tent by roadside - Know why
- 9.6 million US adults highly myopic: Study
- Umami - the Japanese taste sensation hidden in the Indian palate
- Get on the Dragon Boat to relish traditional dim sums at Delhi’s Yauatcha