Bernie Ecclestone charged with bribery case in Germany
Berlin: Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone was on Wednesday charged with bribery by German prosecutors.
The 82-year-old motor racing magnate has been charged by state prosecutors in Munich in relation to a $44 million (33.6 million euro, ?29 million) payment he made to German banker Gerhard Gribkowsky, which was linked to the sale of the Formula One rights in 2006.
Last month, Gribkowsky was sentenced to eight-and-a-half years in jail in Munich and Ecclestone has always denied bribing the German to avoid a British tax inquiry into the sale of Formula One, claiming he was blackmailed by Gribkowsky.
Ecclestone has already told the Financial Times newspaper he will be defending the indictment having spoken to his lawyers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets