British GP win takes Webber closer to new £6m per year contract with Red Bull
London: Mark Webber’s victory at the British Grand Prix has taken him closer to agreeing to a new six million pound-a-year contract with Red Bull.
The Aussie is also convinced that he can be a genuine title contender this season despite being No 2 driver to his teammate, double world champion Sebastian Vettel.
Webber chased down Championship leader Fernando Alonso with four laps remaining to claim his second victory of the season.
Now, Red Bull is looking to tie him to a new deal and head off Ferrari’s attempt to lure him away.
“I’m pushing hard to get a contract for next year and my results are helping my situation,” The Sun quoted Webber, as saying.
“I’m second in the drivers’ championships and I’m not looking to see who is third, fourth of fifth. I’m looking at the guy in first place. I’d rather have my points than most of the other guys and I’m not low on confidence at the moment,” he added.
“It was a very tight race. I had a single opportunity to pass Alonso and you’ve got to grab these chances when they come. You smell blood and have to make your move,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day