Button says McLaren has resources to attain success in 2014
London: Jenson Button has defended McLaren and their under-pressure team principal, Martin Whitmarsh, after their failure to win a single podium place this season for the first time since 1980, and backed them to do a better job next year.
Button`s fourth place in the Brazilian Grand Prix - the team`s best result - failed to disguise another desperately disappointing year, in which their only success was to beat Force India to finish fifth in the constructors` championship, a little matter of 474 points behind the champions, Red Bull, and almost 200 points behind fourth-placed Lotus.
According to The Guardian, Button said that his result at Brazil had `put a smile on everyone`s face`, adding that even though his side is having a tough time this year, he believes that McLaren`s management will make sure that the team is going to do a good job next year.
Button, who became the most experienced British F1 driver on Sunday with 247 starts, denied McLaren will replicate the decline of the leading British team of the 1980s, Williams, as unlike the side, they have resources, although he admitted that they need to be managed correctly and positioned in the right place.
Button, who says he will have a new data engineer next year, believes there could be more fresh faces like Kevin Magnussen as well as Red Bull`s head of aerodynamics, Peter Prodromou, who, he believes, would be instrumental in McLaren`s success in 2014.
The 2009 champion also said that they are excited about the fact that F1 will switch from 2.4 litre V8 engines to 1.6 litre turbocharged V6s next year, which he added will be good for every side, except Red Bull.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015