Ecclestone casts doubt on New Jersey race in 2013
New York: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on New Jersey hosting a grand prix in June 2013 despite a 10-year agreement announced last year.
"Maybe the New York race will be 2013," he told the BBC on Tuesday. "It`s a when - 2013 or 2014."
The east-coast race is likely to be coupled with Canada on successive weekends and would give the United States two rounds of the championship, with Austin in Texas due to make a debut on the calendar this November if its new circuit is ready in time.
New Jersey`s street-circuit race is due to be held on the banks of the Hudson river with New York`s Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.
The United States, a key market for Formula One manufacturers such as Ferrari and Mercedes as well as team sponsors, has not had a grand prix since Indianapolis in 2007.
Austin had looked unlikely to go ahead until an agreement over hosting fees was reached between Ecclestone and local organisers in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon