Ecclestone casts doubt on New Jersey race in 2013
New York: Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has cast doubt on New Jersey hosting a grand prix in June 2013 despite a 10-year agreement announced last year.
"Maybe the New York race will be 2013," he told the BBC on Tuesday. "It`s a when - 2013 or 2014."
The east-coast race is likely to be coupled with Canada on successive weekends and would give the United States two rounds of the championship, with Austin in Texas due to make a debut on the calendar this November if its new circuit is ready in time.
New Jersey`s street-circuit race is due to be held on the banks of the Hudson river with New York`s Manhattan skyline as a backdrop.
The United States, a key market for Formula One manufacturers such as Ferrari and Mercedes as well as team sponsors, has not had a grand prix since Indianapolis in 2007.
Austin had looked unlikely to go ahead until an agreement over hosting fees was reached between Ecclestone and local organisers in December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth