Formula 1 stewards to review Perez` penalty
Spielberg, Austria: Formula 1 stewards Friday agreed to formally review Sergio Perez`s five-place grid penalty from the Canadian Grand Prix two weeks ago after examining "new elements" put forward by Force India driver relating to his last-lap collision with Williams` Felipe Massa in Montreal.
The stewards June 8 deemed that the Mexican driver had changed his racing line while defending fourth place from Massa on the final run down to Turn 1, causing the impact which pitched both men into the barriers at high speed.
However, Force India said that they were unaware of the fact that Perez was to be charged with causing a collision because they had been unable to communicate with him as he was in hospital for checks. The team attended the original hearing without his input.
As a result, stewards here for the Austrian Grand Prix this weekend have agreed to a secondary hearing to consider Perez`s testimony and the relevant telemetry from his car. Massa will also attend the hearing.
"We note for the record that these are exceptional circumstances, namely where the driver was taken to hospital and unable to communicate with his team or attend the hearing," read a stewards` statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today