Karthikeyan joins hands with sought-after physio Balbir Singh
New Delhi: Narain Karthikeyan will avail the services of renowned physiotherapist Balbir Singh, who was with legendary Michael Schumacher in his prime days, in the remaining of the 2012 Formula One season.
Singh had also helped Karthikeyan during the inaugural Indian Grand Prix last year.
"It was certainly different. Balbir got the best out of me not only in terms of fitness, but I was in a much better place mentally as well. My concentration levels were better, despite the fact that it was the toughest weekend of the season - both outside and inside the car.”
"There was pressure of performing on home ground, living up to the fans` expectations and the run-up to the weekend had been extremely hectic with a slew of media and sponsor commitments. But Balbir`s unique techniques helped me keep focus amidst all of that and it sure played its part out on the track - when it counted."
Singh, a Punjab-born German famously stepped into Formula 1 after Michael Schumacher offered him the role of his personal physio ahead of his Ferrari debut in 1996.
"The pressure on the drivers is enormous. It is a big business so there can be no room for complacency. It is not just about being physically fit either, since there is a lot of mental strain as well," Singh said.
Karthikeyan said the association will help him do better this season.
"It is going to be a long season, with a lot of long-haul flights and 20 races so I`m sure his expertise will help me cope with it better. I am glad to have him - he is highly sought-after because he is the best in the business.”
"It isn’t for nothing that someone with the focus of Michael Schumacher had him by for a decade. We got along well through the Indian GP weekend and by the end of it, I was convinced," the Indian racer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city