Kimi Raikkonen`s record run ends in Spa
Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium): Kimi Raikkonen`s record run of 27 successive Formula One races in the points came to an end when the Lotus driver retired from the Belgian Grand Prix with brake failure on Sunday.
"I had a brake failure so there was really no point in trying to continue," he said of his first retirement since he returned to Formula One last season after two years out.
"We`ve finished a lot of races and had some good reliability; one day your luck has to run out and today was that day."
The Finn tried to overtake Ferrari`s Brazilian Felipe Massa in a battle for seventh place on lap 26 when he ran off the track while braking.
The 2007 world champion, who passed Michael Schumacher`s 2001-03 record of 24 successive races in the points earlier in the season, returned to the pits and got out of the car.
Team principal Eric Boullier said only the left brake was affected, with the cooling duct blocked. The team are investigating.
Raikkonen, a four-times winner in Belgium, was second in the championship before Sunday`s race won by Red Bull`s triple champion Sebastian Vettel but dropped to fourth and 63 points adrift.
The retirement also ended his hopes of beating Nick Heidfeld`s record run of 41 successive race finishes. The Finn had 38 before Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof