Anand Pawar reaches prequarterfinals of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Anand Pawar notched up a straight-game win over sixth seed Viktor Axelsen to join compatriot Ajay Jayaram in the pre-quarterfinals of the German Open badminton championship in Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany.
World number 51 Anand raised his game and rode on his smashes to outclass Viktor, who is ranked 22nd, 21-11 22-20 in a 35-minute men`s singles match at the RWE-Sporthalle late last night.
The Mumbai shuttler will next take on Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei later today.
However, it was curtains for senior shuttler Arvind Bhat, who suffered a 10-21 16-21 loss to second seed Boonsak Ponsana in another men`s singles match which lasted for just over half an hour.
In men`s doubles, Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu crashed out after losing 16-21 17-21 to V Shem Goh and Khim Wah Lim in the opening round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bandits kill 31 bush taxi passengers in Madagascar
- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un hails successful test of new missile, says it can strike US Pacific bases
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!