Anand Pawar reaches prequarterfinals of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Anand Pawar notched up a straight-game win over sixth seed Viktor Axelsen to join compatriot Ajay Jayaram in the pre-quarterfinals of the German Open badminton championship in Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany.
World number 51 Anand raised his game and rode on his smashes to outclass Viktor, who is ranked 22nd, 21-11 22-20 in a 35-minute men`s singles match at the RWE-Sporthalle late last night.
The Mumbai shuttler will next take on Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei later today.
However, it was curtains for senior shuttler Arvind Bhat, who suffered a 10-21 16-21 loss to second seed Boonsak Ponsana in another men`s singles match which lasted for just over half an hour.
In men`s doubles, Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu crashed out after losing 16-21 17-21 to V Shem Goh and Khim Wah Lim in the opening round.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview