Anand Pawar reaches prequarterfinals of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Anand Pawar notched up a straight-game win over sixth seed Viktor Axelsen to join compatriot Ajay Jayaram in the pre-quarterfinals of the German Open badminton championship in Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany.
World number 51 Anand raised his game and rode on his smashes to outclass Viktor, who is ranked 22nd, 21-11 22-20 in a 35-minute men`s singles match at the RWE-Sporthalle late last night.
The Mumbai shuttler will next take on Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei later today.
However, it was curtains for senior shuttler Arvind Bhat, who suffered a 10-21 16-21 loss to second seed Boonsak Ponsana in another men`s singles match which lasted for just over half an hour.
In men`s doubles, Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu crashed out after losing 16-21 17-21 to V Shem Goh and Khim Wah Lim in the opening round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender