Anand Pawar reaches prequarterfinals of German Open
New Delhi: Indian shuttler Anand Pawar notched up a straight-game win over sixth seed Viktor Axelsen to join compatriot Ajay Jayaram in the pre-quarterfinals of the German Open badminton championship in Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany.
World number 51 Anand raised his game and rode on his smashes to outclass Viktor, who is ranked 22nd, 21-11 22-20 in a 35-minute men`s singles match at the RWE-Sporthalle late last night.
The Mumbai shuttler will next take on Hsuan Yi Hsueh of Chinese Taipei later today.
However, it was curtains for senior shuttler Arvind Bhat, who suffered a 10-21 16-21 loss to second seed Boonsak Ponsana in another men`s singles match which lasted for just over half an hour.
In men`s doubles, Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu crashed out after losing 16-21 17-21 to V Shem Goh and Khim Wah Lim in the opening round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional