Athlete Pinki Pramanik a male: gender tests, charged with rape
Barasat: Asian Games gold medalist Pinki Pramanik, who was embroiled in a controversy surrounding her gender, was on Monday charged with rape and cheating by the police after medical tests established that the athlete is a male.
The police action came after it submitted in a court a medical report on the gender determination tests which showed that Pinki, now on bail, is a male.
Based on the report of the medical test done by a board of doctors at the state-run SSKM hospital in Kolkata, the police filed a charge sheet against Pinki charging the athlete with rape and cheating as well as accusing her of holding out threats.
Pinki was accused by her live-in partner Anamika Acharya of being a male who raped her, which led to Pinki's arrest on June 14 and an order for medical examination to confirm the gender was issued.
The former middle-distance runner, who won the 4x400 m relay gold in 2006 Doha Asian Games, was freed from jail on July 11 pending disposal of all cases.
Pinki's earlier reports of gender tests were inconclusive both at a private nursing home at Barasat as well as at Barasat general hospital.
The case was referred to the state-run SSKM hospital, but facility for chromosome pattern test was unavailable there too. Later, the test was concluded at Hyderabad, police said.
The athlete's arrest and imprisonment earlier sparked an outcry across the state over gender discrimination and the manner of conducting the tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad