Australia to have smallest Olympics squad in 20 years
Sydney: Australia will have their smallest squad at the forthcoming Olympics since the 1992 Barcelona edition.
With the football team not qualifying for the London Olympics, the Australia contingent could fall below 400 for the first time since Barcelona Games where it had 279 athletes.
The Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) had wanted to send a 420-member squad for the July-August event.
Chef de mission Nick Green conceded that Australia`s aim of finishing in the top five at London has taken a hit.
"We won`t have a powerful Australian team across all of our disciplines so, on that note, it is disappointing," Green was quoted as saying by Sydney Morning Herald.
"It is still a strong team. It is just a shame football won`t be there."
The Olyroos won`t feature in the Olympics for the first time since 1984 after their loss to UAE in the Qualifiers Thursday knocked them out of the London race. The women`s had also failed to qualify in September.
Australia football coach Aurelio Vidmar said the players were devastated.
"It would have been a big thing to go and represent your country and play at the Olympics, but it is not to be," Vidmar said.
So far, Australia have earned 228 quota places for London. They finished sixth in the overall standings at the Beijing Games in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service
- MCI could be dead; new body may nurse medical education in India