Belgian federation proposes `red and yellow cards`
Schoten: Belgian Cycling Federation president Tom Van Damme said Wednesday he wants the International Cycling Union (UCI) to introduce football-style red and yellow cards to improve safety in the peloton.
Such cards are well known in football and rugby circles but so far have not made an appearance in cycling.
But Van Damme believes it could improve riders` discipline and lead to fewer crashes -- something that is particularly apt following Sunday`s incident-packed Tour of Flanders in which a 65-year-old female spectator suffered life-threatening injuries following a collision with Belgian rider Johan Vansummeren.
Asked at the Escaut Grand Prix what proposals he was considering, Van Damme said: "The introduction of a system of red and yellow cards, like in football.
"Even though in cycling not everything is filmed and we can`t see everything.
"But if riders were more disciplined, there would be fewer accidents."
Other ideas aimed at improving safety include banning riders from riding on pavements during races, from using earpieces to interact with sports directors -- who often urge their riders to push up to the front, thus taking greater risks -- and banning the use of Tramadol, a pain-killer which reduces riders` concentration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday