Cavendish skips Giro, targets Tour de France
Paris: British sprint specialist Mark Cavendish revelaed on Friday that he would bypass this year`s Giro d`Italia to focus on the Tour de France which begins on July 5.
The 28-year-old Isle of Man native will instead use the Tours of Turkey (April 27-May 4), California (May 11-18) and Switzerland (June 14-22) as his tune-up races for the Tour de France which starts from Leeds, in Yorkshire, England.
"As everyone knows, my main objective this year is the Tour de France," said the Omega Pharma rider who has won 25 stages on the world`s greatest bike race.
"I will not do the Giro this year, which saddens me because it is a race that has given me a lot of satisfaction in the past," added Cavendish who has struggled with fitness and illness this season.
Cavendish, whose mother is from Harrogate, the finish point for the first stage of this year`s Tour de France, has won 15 stages on the Giro and also finished as points winner in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state