Cavendish skips Giro, targets Tour de France
Paris: British sprint specialist Mark Cavendish revelaed on Friday that he would bypass this year`s Giro d`Italia to focus on the Tour de France which begins on July 5.
The 28-year-old Isle of Man native will instead use the Tours of Turkey (April 27-May 4), California (May 11-18) and Switzerland (June 14-22) as his tune-up races for the Tour de France which starts from Leeds, in Yorkshire, England.
"As everyone knows, my main objective this year is the Tour de France," said the Omega Pharma rider who has won 25 stages on the world`s greatest bike race.
"I will not do the Giro this year, which saddens me because it is a race that has given me a lot of satisfaction in the past," added Cavendish who has struggled with fitness and illness this season.
Cavendish, whose mother is from Harrogate, the finish point for the first stage of this year`s Tour de France, has won 15 stages on the Giro and also finished as points winner in 2013.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler