Cavendish skips Giro, targets Tour de France
Paris: British sprint specialist Mark Cavendish revelaed on Friday that he would bypass this year`s Giro d`Italia to focus on the Tour de France which begins on July 5.
The 28-year-old Isle of Man native will instead use the Tours of Turkey (April 27-May 4), California (May 11-18) and Switzerland (June 14-22) as his tune-up races for the Tour de France which starts from Leeds, in Yorkshire, England.
"As everyone knows, my main objective this year is the Tour de France," said the Omega Pharma rider who has won 25 stages on the world`s greatest bike race.
"I will not do the Giro this year, which saddens me because it is a race that has given me a lot of satisfaction in the past," added Cavendish who has struggled with fitness and illness this season.
Cavendish, whose mother is from Harrogate, the finish point for the first stage of this year`s Tour de France, has won 15 stages on the Giro and also finished as points winner in 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- A Flying Jatt tweet review: First day first show
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan