Chhattisgarh, Tamil Nadu crowned national basketball champions
New Delhi: Chhattisgarh produced a scintillating comeback in the final quarter to clinch the women`s title at the 64th National Basketball Championship, while Tamil Nadu men overwhelmed Punjab in the final, here on Wednesday.
Chhattisgarh women, who were trailing in each of the first three quarters, went past defending champions Indian Railways 81-77 in the final minutes of the game at the Thyagaraj Indoor Stadium.
Kavita came up with a match-winning performance scoring 25 points for Chhatisgarh, while Saranjeet Kaur (20) and Bharti Netam (16) also made significant contributions..
Railways team was quick to get off the blocks and dominantly led the first quarter 23-12. They maintained their advantage at the end half-time with 46-38.
However, Chhatisgarh women never allowed the lead to surge beyond their control. At the end of third quarter, Railways led 65-60 before Chhatisgarh remarkably turned it around in the final period.
Chhatisgarh netted 21 points as compared to Railways` 13 in the last quarter to end latter`s six-time winning streak.
In the men`s final, Tamil Nadu did not face much difficulty in overcoming Punjab 74-57.
Rikin Pethani shone with 22 points for Tamil Nadu, while Palpreet Singh (19) was the top-scorer for Punjab.
Services finished third in the men`s category while Delhi women beat Maharashtra to secure third position.
The winner took home Rs one lakh, while the first and second runners-up received Rs 75,000 and Rs 50,000, respectively.
Rikin Pethani of Tamil Nadu and Chhattisgarh`s Kavita Kumari were awarded the Harish Sharma Most Valuable Player Award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!