Gill becomes 1st Indian driver to win FIA Asia-Pacific Rally
New Delhi: Gaurav Gill created history by becoming the first Indian to win the FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship title on day one of the Rally of China.
Gill, with Australian co-driver Glenn Macneall, only had to finish the rally on day one to secure his first APRC title.
Gill`s team-mate Esapekka Lappi was leading at the end of Day 1 with Gill in second place and Lappi is in a position to move up to second in the championship, having finished second in the S2000 category at the recent Sanremo Rally in Italy.
There`s still one day to go, before the finish when Gill and the team can celebrate on the APRC podium. Gill suffered a puncture which cost him 2-3 minutes but managed to get back in the rally.
Gill, who drives for Team MRF, said, "This is definitely the high-light of my career so far, we`ve come close on several other occasions and this year wasn`t easy either. I have to thank the team, my co-driver Glenn, Skoda and a big thank you to MRF tyres too as they`ve stuck with me all these years and so it`s nice to reward them and my country. We stopped and changed it loosing 2-3 minutes, but the main thing is to get it the car back here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?