Heena Sidhu felicitated by Punjab government
Amritsar: Pistol shooter Heena Sidhu, who recently won gold in the ISSF World Cup finals in Munich, Germany was today felicitated by the Punjab government here.
While felicitating Heena, Punjab cabinet minister and state Rifle Association President Bikram Singh Majithia said that his government would extend all possible support to her.
He said that the Punjab government would frame a special policy to train elite athletes so that they can win medals in international events, including the Olympic Games.
Besides jobs and promotions for the sports personnel on the pattern of Maharashtra and Haryana, special training would be imparted to budding players to equip them for international competitions like the Olympics, he said.
Majithia said that the Sports policy prepared after thoughtful considerations by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal has starting bearing fruits.
He said that 80 per cent of the shooters winning laurels for the country in the international competitions belong to Punjab.
Majithia said that Heena`s achievement would inspire youngsters.
Majithia said that besides Heena, Abhinav Bindra, Ronjan Sodhi, Manavjit Sandhu, Zorawer Sandhu and Avneet had also made the state proud by their respective victories.
He said that international level shooting ranges would be set up in Punjab and all possible support would be extended to budding players of this relatively expensive game.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing