Khan withdraws IBF appeal in search of rematch
London: Amir Khan has dropped his appeal with the International Boxing Federation as the Briton seeks an immediate rematch to avenge his controversial defeat to Lamont Peterson in Washington last month, his U.S. promoters said in a statement on Tuesday.
Golden Boy Promotions attributed the late withdrawal, barely 24 hours before the scheduled hearing, to the fact that "there was only to be partial representation of fight officials involved with the December 10, 2011 bout...".
Khan (26-2) lost two versions of his light-welterweight world titles in Peterson`s hometown on a split decision, although the World Boxing Association has already ordered a rematch.
"Golden Boy Promotions and Team Khan are pleased to have been vindicated by the World Boxing Association`s WBA.L recent decision to mandate an immediate rematch and still hope that Mr. Peterson will honour earlier statements in which he asserted that he would be happy to agree to a rematch," a statement on Khan`s website said.
"In that vein, Golden Boy Promotions and Team Khan would agree to a 50-50 split of worldwide revenues derived from a rematch (including those derived from the United Kingdom) should Mr. Peterson agree to participate and hope that this will be both financially and professionally satisfying to Mr. Peterson and his team," the statement added.
After Peterson`s (30-1-1) surprise victory, Khan`s team initially questioned the performance of referee Joseph Cooper, who deducted points from the Briton in the seventh and 12th rounds for pushing.
Khan also questioned the appearance of a mystery man at ringside with the 27-year-old`s Peterson`s camp, accusing him of "interfering" with the scorecards belonging to the judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened