Korea settle for bronze in Sultan Azlan Shah hockey
Ipoh: South Korea came up with all guns blazing to beat New Zealand 2-1 and clinch the bronze medal in the Sultan Azlan Shah hockey tournament here today.
For the winners, Hyan Hye Sung struck a penalty corner goal in the 32nd minute and seasoned Nam Hyun Woo slotted home from another penalty corner in the 57th minute.
For New Zealand, Stephen Jenness scored a field goal in the 40th minute of the third-place match.
The Korean attack came in waves mainly from the flanks with the defence assisting the forwards with snap crosses interspersing well with the long clearances.
The variation and guile with which the Koreans employed in their penalty corners had the unsettling effect on the New Zealand defence.
Not surprisingly, New Zealand fell close to the breather. This time penalty corner specialist Nam Hyun Woo sold a dummy as Hyan Hye Sung gleefully pounced on the offering to hit the boards with a thud in the 32nd minute.
New Zealand looked a pale shadow of a team which lost out to Australia in a crunch game, allowing Korea all the avenues to orchestrate their attacks.
The Koreans could have the luxury of having an extra man upfront with the defence adroitly manned by Nam Hyun Woo, Hyan Hye Sung and Hong Eun Seong.
New Zealand put the contest on level terms from their third penalty corner. From a skirmish inside the D, New Zealand`s Stephen Jenness, who took the push, was on hand to deflect it in, in the 40th minute.
Play was held up for two minutes with the Koreans showing their dissent, but the replays showed the fairness of umpire Ben de Young`s verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing