Mumbai Fighters get walkover from LA to gain WSB QF berth
Mumbai: Mumbai Fighters gained a quarter- final berth in the World Series Boxing (WSB) after getting a walkover from Los Angeles Matadors in their last Group A league fight.
The fight was scheduled on Monday in the US but was cancelled due to a re-structure of the home team`s management.
"Our fight against LA Matadors in The Music Box at Hollywood next Monday has got cancelled as their team management has been re-structured. We have been given a walkover and full three points and it has assured us of a quarter final berth," a Mumbai Fighters team source said.
"We have now 14 points with a game in hand against Astana at Almaty in Kazakhstan on the 17th while the Matadors have only 10 with a game in hand against Bangkok Elephants. So you can say we are through to the quarters," said the source. A victory over another team in the best-of-five bout fights gains the winners three points.
"As the fourth-best team (out of six) in Group A we will meet the team that tops Group B (Baku Fires of Azerbaijan) in the quarter finals," the source added.
Formidable Baku Fires have won 27 points by winning all their nine bouts in the six-team Group B. In distant second place with 16 points are Mexico City Guereros.
The quarter finals would also be a home and away affair with Mumbai taking on Baku away from home on March 2/3 and the return leg being hosted by the Indian franchise on March 9/10.
The semi-finals are slated for March 23-24 and 30-31 and the final is scheduled on April 27 and 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31