Nobbs is here to settle his accounts
New Delhi: Sacked hockey coach Michael Nobbs returned to India on Monday to settle his dues with the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
The Australian was sacked last week after the team`s series of dismal performances over the last 12 months.
Hockey India (HI) secretary general Narinder Batra said that Nobbs is here to settle his dues with his employers SAI.
"Nobbs will be here for a month. He will be travelling to Bangalore to meet the players at the national camp and we will also give him a nice farewell," Batra said.
SAI director general Jiji Thomson stated that he would meet Nobbs later this week.
The decision to sack the Australian was taken during a review meeting of the team`s overall performance by the SAI. Nobbs, who was appointed in June 2011, was removed with three years still remaining of his contract.
Under Nobbs, the team lost all its matches during the 2012 London Olympics and finished a disappointing last among the 12 competing teams. Last month, India were sixth in the FIH World League Round 3 tournament in Rotterdam.
Nobbs` biggest achievement was taking India, who had missed the Beijing Games for the first time in 80 years, back to the Olympics by winning the qualifier on home soil. The team also finished fourth during the 2012 Champions Trophy.
HI high-performance manager Roelant Oltmans has been given the charge of the team while Olympic gold medallist Maharaj Krishan Kaushik has been appointed the national coach. The Dutch legend is now in charge of the national camp in Bangalore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'