Russian `Father Frost` to take part in Olympic torch relay
Moscow: Mythical Russian ice demigod Ded Moroz - translated into English as Father Frost - will play a leading role in the torch relay in the lead up to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, the Olympic Organising Committee announced.
In 2009, the committee granted Father Frost official mascot status. The myth of Father Frost has its origins in the town of Velikiy Ustyug in the Vologda region, and was tagged as an ideal symbol of Russia`s wintry origins and contemporary identity.
Father Frost is also expected to feature prominently in the Northwest exhibition of the regional expo to be held at the Olympic Park in Sochi. The goal of the expo is to use the Winter Olympics to promote tourism in Russia`s vast underexplored regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra