Russian `Father Frost` to take part in Olympic torch relay
Moscow: Mythical Russian ice demigod Ded Moroz - translated into English as Father Frost - will play a leading role in the torch relay in the lead up to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, the Olympic Organising Committee announced.
In 2009, the committee granted Father Frost official mascot status. The myth of Father Frost has its origins in the town of Velikiy Ustyug in the Vologda region, and was tagged as an ideal symbol of Russia`s wintry origins and contemporary identity.
Father Frost is also expected to feature prominently in the Northwest exhibition of the regional expo to be held at the Olympic Park in Sochi. The goal of the expo is to use the Winter Olympics to promote tourism in Russia`s vast underexplored regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed