Vijender finds new system of scoring confusing
Patiala: As he gears up to chase his `London Dreams` with the first Olympic qualifiers next month, star Indian boxer Vijender Singh is not just working hard on his game, he is also trying to figure out an all-new system of scoring that has left him "confused".
The Haryana-boxer, who became the first Indian to clinch an Olympic medal with his bronze at the 2008 Beijing Games, is currently busy preparing for the World Championships next month in Azerbaijan which would be the first qualifying event for the London Olympics next year.
He won a bronze at the previous World Championships, which was also a first for Indian boxing.
Apart from analysing the competition that awaits him and the strategy for doing well at the event, Vijender is also trying to figure out the new scoring system under which, the boxers are shown their points tally at the end of every round instead of live updates that used to be the norm earlier.
"I don`t understand this new system of scoring. I like the previous one. This system leaves one confused because a boxer might think that he is ahead only to find out later that he is actually down. You never know where you are and that affects strategy," Vijender told reporters.
"I don`t think this is the way to build up excitement (as has been stated by the International Boxing Association) because I believe, even by showing live scores, the excitement remains the same. I think the previous system of scoring was better," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH