Film on Imran Khan`s life to hit cinemas soon
Lahore: Former Pakistan captain Imran Khan`s transition from a cricketer to an active politician has become the subject of a movie which is set to be released here this year.
According to a report in the "Express Tribune", the film called "Kaptaan" explores the life of Imran following the end of his cricket career.
Imran, after leading Pakistan to many triumphs on the cricket field including the 1992 World Cup, became a frontline politician and social activist.
The movie, which is still in post-production phase, explores the experiences of his life.
Faisal Aman Khan, an independent filmmaker who is based in the UK, is directing the film.
Faisal said he hit upon the idea of making this movie two years ago after he graduated from film school. According to his colleagues, Faisal met Imran several times during the research phase of the project to get his endorsement.
"Imran Khan was reluctant at first and claimed that it was more important to focus on other aspects of the country, Faisal`s persistence finally paid in ultimately convincing him," said Naveed Anwar, the film`s assistant director and screenwriter.
"We wanted to make a film that would project the positive side of Pakistan. It was hard as there are very few personalities in Pakistan that have a global appeal," Anwar added.
Anwar, who has directed several short films, said the film juxtaposes Khan`s struggle for Pakistan`s future with that of Mohammad Ali Jinnahs.
The film also recreates scenes of major incidents such as his arrest at Punjab University in Lahore, his hunger strike while in jail and his relationship with ex-wife Jemima Khan.
A local model Abdul Mannan, who has an uncanny resemblance to the cricketer, will play Imran in the film and is paired with Saeeda Imtiaz, a Pakistani-American model based in New York.
Insiders claim that the film will be ready for distribution this fall but are tight-lipped about the release date.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future