Del Potro wins as fan collapses in Melbourne heat
Melbourne: Juan Martin del Potro revived himself after a sleepy first set to mow down Frenchman Adrian Mannarino 2-6, 6-1, 7-5, 6-4 in the first round as heat claimed its first victim on the opening day of the Australian Open.
Serving on set point at 5-1 in the second set, the towering Argentine was asked to hold fire after a spectator collapsed in the stands as the temperature nudged 30 degrees Celsius.
Play resumed a few minutes later after the fan was attended to and helped out of Hisense Arena by first-aid staff, allowing 11th-seeded Del Potro to crack a forehand winner and seal the set.
Mannarino, a plucky left-hander ranked 91st in the world, ensured Del Potro would have to work in the heat, but the Argentine served out the match confidently to set up a second-round match against Slovenia`s Blaz Kavcic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya