Federer, Wawrinka slump in Davis Cup
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka slumped to a shock defeat in the Davis Cup on Saturday as minnows Kazakhstan opened a 2-1 lead in their quarter-final clash.
Andrey Golubev and Aleksandr Nedovyesov stunned Federer and Wawrinka 6-4, 7-6 (7/5), 4-6, 7-6 (8/6) in the doubles.
Australian Open champion Wawrinka, the world number three, had also lost his opening singles on Friday, going down 7-6 (7/5), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7/5) to 64th ranked Golubev.
But 17-time Grand Slam winner Federer then stormed to a straight sets 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 win over Mikhail Kukushkin to level the tie.
The quarter-final will be decided on Sunday in the reverse singles with the winners to face either Italy or Great Britain in September`s semi-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what