Federer, Wawrinka slump in Davis Cup
Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka slumped to a shock defeat in the Davis Cup on Saturday as minnows Kazakhstan opened a 2-1 lead in their quarter-final clash.
Andrey Golubev and Aleksandr Nedovyesov stunned Federer and Wawrinka 6-4, 7-6 (7/5), 4-6, 7-6 (8/6) in the doubles.
Australian Open champion Wawrinka, the world number three, had also lost his opening singles on Friday, going down 7-6 (7/5), 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (7/5) to 64th ranked Golubev.
But 17-time Grand Slam winner Federer then stormed to a straight sets 6-4, 6-4, 6-2 win over Mikhail Kukushkin to level the tie.
The quarter-final will be decided on Sunday in the reverse singles with the winners to face either Italy or Great Britain in September`s semi-finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!