Kuznetsova survives rough welcome in Portugal
Oeiras: Two-time grand slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova was forced to battle to a marathon 6-7 (2/7), 6-3, 6-2 first round win at the ATP/WTA Portugal Open on Monday.
The Russian wild card, who won the 2004 French Open and the US Open three years later, had to dig deep to see off American sixth seed Varvara Lepchenko.
Kuznetsova, now ranked 45th in the world, is playing the event proper for the first time in her career but she did lose a qualifying match in her only previous visit in 2002.
The 27-year-old was challenged by the standard windy conditions which are a part of this rebranded clay event - formerly the Estoril Open - and also had to deal with an unseasonable chill gripping the Iberian peninsula.
Kuznetsova won in just over two and a half hours, firing six aces and breaking Lepchenko six times.
She lost her own serve five times on the way to the struggling success.
"It was a very difficult match against Varvara. I had a lot of ups and downs, as she did," said the winner.
"The conditions out there were very tough and it wasn`t easy to play. I tried to keep going, keep pushing, and in the end it went my way, so I was happy with that."
Spanish fourth seed Carla Suarez Navarro dispatched Marina Erakovic of New Zealand 6-3, 6-0 while Russian seventh seed Elena Vesnina advanced comfortably at the Estadio Nacional over local Maria Joao Koehler 6-4, 6-1.
The 2009 champion Yanina Wickmayer passed the first hurdle as she beat Anna Tatishvili of Georgia 6-1, 7-5. Japan`s Ayumi Morita beat British debutant Laura Robson 6-2, 7-5, leaving the teenager winless on the WTA since early April.
France`s Marion Bartoli heads the WTA field in the pre-French Open event, ahead of Slovak Dominika Cibulkova.
In the men`s draw, Spain`s Davis Ferrer takes the top seeding after being drafted in as a late replacement to ailing Argentine Juan Martin del Porto, suffering with a stomach virus but expected to play at next week`s Madrid Masters.
Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka, semi-finalist a year ago in his Portuguese debut, is seeded second. The top four men`s seeds get byes into the second round.
The Swiss admitted he fancied his chances as he plays his second European event on clay after knocking Andy Murray out in Monte Carlo.
"It`s my second year here and I am happy to be back. I hope to play well and keep improving my game and ranking this year."
Wawrinka has announced that he will be coached by Sweden`s Magnus Norman, a former French Open finalist who last guided Robin Soderling, out of the game since July, 2011, with glandular fever.
But Norman will only come on board with Wawrinka next month in the practise week before the May 26 start at Roand Garros and work with the number 16 at major events.
On court, French sixth seed Benoit Paire beat Igor Sijsling 7-6 (7/5), 6-3 while compatriot Eduardo Roger-Vasselin advanced when Gilles Muller quit injured trailing 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!