Lack of facilities discourage Indians to take up tennis: Sania
Raipur: Indian tennis star Sania Mirza today said that people should not always expect a win from sportspersons and should learn to take their defeat in a positive way.
"Every player cannot win all the tournaments. That doesn`t mean one should look at them in a negative way," the 26-year-old player told reporters on the sidelines of Gondwana Cup Tennis Tournament that was kicked-started here.
Saying that tennis was a "tough" sport for women, Sania pointed out that there was a dearth of coaches and lack of facilities, which discourage Indians from taking up tennis.
"Tennis was never a popular sport here. Due to lack of coaches, programmes and infrastructure, people, particularly girls, hardly take up tennis," she said adding that they should be encouraged to play the sport.
Sports academies would help in grooming the young talent to reach to the top place in tennis, she opined.
When asked, she said that playing at Wimbledon was her "biggest dream", which she has accomplished.
She added that she aspires to win the Wimbeldon doubles and mixed doubles events.
Replying to queries, she said had she not been a tennis player, she would have become an interior decorator.
Sania said she also loves watching cricket. "Cricket is my favourite sports after tennis and I like Sachin Tendulkar," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog