Maria Sharapova to be coached by Jimmy Connors
Zee Media Bureau
Ending speculations over who her new coach would be, Maria Sharapova on Saturday announced Jimmy Connors as her new coach.
Maria confirmed the news on her website, “I am happy to announce that Jimmy Connors will be my new coach. I have known Jimmy for many years and we briefly worked together in 2008 just before the Australian Open. I am really excited about our new partnership and looking forward to the upcoming tournaments.”
It will be interesting to see how the eight-time Grand Slam winner Jimmy Connors shapes up Sharapova’s career now. Sharapova won her last grand slam, the French Open, in 2012.
After Sharapova crashed out of the second round at the 2013 Wimbledon Championships last week, she announced ending ties with her Swedish coach Thomas Hogstedt on Thursday.
She stated that due to personal issues, Hogstedt will not be able to travel in the near future and they both agreed it was the right time to go their separate ways.
"I am very thankful for all his work, and wish him much success in the future," Sharapova said on her website.
Hogstedt joined Sharapova at the end of 2010 season and helped her win the French Open and retain the number one ranking after coming out of her shoulder injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday