Nadal says staying fit in 2014 more important than winning Grand Slams
Johannesburg: World number one Rafael Nadal has said that staying fit is more important for him than adding to his 13 Grand Slam titles.
The Spaniard had one of the best seasons of his career in 2013 following his return in February after seven months out with a knee injury, winning 10 tournaments including a record eighth French Open crown and a second US Open title.
According to Sport24, as Nadal gears up for the start of the 2014 tour, he said that remaining healthy and being able to challenge at the top level are his main priorities, adding that he wants to start the year well and in shape to compete in the big tournaments.
Nadal further said that keeping the New Year in mind, he is not focusing on winning the ninth Roland Garros or winning Wimbledon again, which would be the third time, adding that it is more important for him to maintain his fitness in a way that will allow him to play the whole year and compete at a good level.
Nadal, who will get his next crack at a grand slam when the Australian Open starts in Melbourne in mid January, also said his enforced rest in the second half of 2012 had meant he was fresh and hungry on his return and that was possibly why he had been so successful.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery