Sanam a step away from main draw of Aus Open play-off tourney
Nanjing : Sanam Singh scored an easy straight-set win over China`s De Zhu to move into the final round of the qualifiers of the Asia-Pacific Australian Open wild card play-off tournament, here today.
The Indian beat the local player 6-3 6-1 in the third round of the qualifiers.
Sanam, who had got byes in the first two rounds, will next face another Chinese, Zhizhen Zhang in the final round.
A win in the final round will take him to the main draw.
Two other Indians Davis Cuppers -- Yuki Bhambri and Vishnu Vardhan -- are already in the main draw after getting wild cards from All India Tennis Association.
Meanwhile, N Sriram Balaji has also entered the main draw since one country has not utilised its quota. Therefore, if Sanam also qualifies, India will have four players competing in the main draw.
Prerna Bhambri is India`s lone entry in the women`s singles category.
The winners of this tournament will get wild card entry into the 2013 Australian Open main draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended