Sanam a step away from main draw of Aus Open play-off tourney
Nanjing : Sanam Singh scored an easy straight-set win over China`s De Zhu to move into the final round of the qualifiers of the Asia-Pacific Australian Open wild card play-off tournament, here today.
The Indian beat the local player 6-3 6-1 in the third round of the qualifiers.
Sanam, who had got byes in the first two rounds, will next face another Chinese, Zhizhen Zhang in the final round.
A win in the final round will take him to the main draw.
Two other Indians Davis Cuppers -- Yuki Bhambri and Vishnu Vardhan -- are already in the main draw after getting wild cards from All India Tennis Association.
Meanwhile, N Sriram Balaji has also entered the main draw since one country has not utilised its quota. Therefore, if Sanam also qualifies, India will have four players competing in the main draw.
Prerna Bhambri is India`s lone entry in the women`s singles category.
The winners of this tournament will get wild card entry into the 2013 Australian Open main draw.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report