Sania, Bethanie exit from Madrid Open
Madrid: Sania Mirza and her American pair Bethanie Mattek-Sands made an early exit from the Madrid Open after losing their second round match in straight sets to Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova and Lucie Safarova.
The fifth seed Indo-American pair lost 5-7 1-6 to the unseeded Russian-Czech pair in one hour and 10 minutes in the second round of the euro 4,033,254 clay court event.
Sania and Bethanie could convert just two of the eighth break chances they had against their rivals while dropped their serve on six occasions.
Sania and her partner shared 12,000 euro as prize money and earned 140 ranking points each.
Before the next Grand Slam of the season, the French Open, Sania and Bethanie have two more tournaments -- Rome and Brussels -- to tune up their game on the red clay.
The Roland Garros is slated to begin from May 26.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa